Monday, November 30, 2009

Sparkles for a song...

Another frugal project! I have had visions of replacing this monstrosity in our dining room:

It's in perfect working order, just not my style. And certainly not the style of this 1920's vintage home. So I sought out to restore this dining room to it's original splendor.

I found this photo of an antique empire chandelier and I knew that this would complete the look:

However, the multi-thousand dollar price tag was WAY out of my league! Imagine my excitement when I found this hidden treasure (for a song) at a local junk shop. I knew it needed some tlc, but I have willing hands to work (if not a willing pocketbook).


So, I turned this sad chandelier into this majestic beauty. It doesn't have quite the charm of the authentic antique chandeliers, but it is breathtaking. Don't you think?




Tutorial to follow on how I did it! It involves:

Paint: Krylon Metallics Oil Rubbed Bronze
Crystals: The Village Lamplighter
Pearls
Ceiling Medallion
Cheap Fabric
& Wire

5 comments:

  1. This chandelier looks amazing!!! I am so impressed with how different and beautiful it looks! Perfect for your space! I love all your changes in the house, it's truly becoming a restful and beautiful home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It's so pretty, I love it! What a great find. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is beautiful and very vintage looking...You did well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! you did a great job. But I think even your knock off (which is sooo pretty) would still be out of MY price range!
    gail

    ReplyDelete